ARC010: The Aramaic Lord's PrayerAll who are interested or wish to have more information, please email in to Information@AramaicDesigns.com.
Duration: 8 weeks (~2 months)
Enrollment: Rolling (you can enroll at any time)
Current Syllabus: (subject to change, but probably close to this)
- What's So Special About The Lord's Prayer?
- Context & History
- The Prayer in Greek
- A (Brief) History of Aramaic & the Language of Jesus
- An Introduction to Aramaic & its Alphabet
- The Aramaic of Jesus
- The Syriac Peshitta Lord's Prayer
- An Introduction to the Peshitta
- The Peshitta Lord's Prayer
- Other Syriac Lord's Prayer Traditions
- The Other Syriac Traditions and Their Relation to Each Other
- Old Syriac, Harklean, etc.
- Scholarly Reconstructions of the Lord's Prayer
- Reconstructing the Words of Jesus
- The Jesus Seminar
- Individual Scholarly Reconstructions (Jeremias', Fitzmeyer, Chilton, Brock, etc.)
- Modern Aramaic Traditions of the Lord's Prayer
- The Plight of Neo-Aramaic
- Neo-Aramaic Examples (Neo-Assyrian, Ma`loula, etc.)
- Odd Translations of the Lord's Prayer
- An "Aramaic" Imagination
- Notable Odd Translations (Ouseley, Lamsa/Errico, Douglas-Klotz, etc.)
- Conclusions, Thoughts & Final Paper
- Aramaic and Prayer
- Greater Historical Context
- Final essay on any topic covered in the class, or other topic subject to professor approval (~500-1000 words).
Labels: academics, aramaic, assyrian, class, cool, course, learn aramaic, lord's prayer, neil douglas klotz, neo-aramaic, news, online, peshitta, syriac